Tidbit Times

Tiny Tidbits of my Time

Happy New Year ~ Calendar Notepads January 4, 2012

Filed under: Crafty Bits — tidbittimes @ 10:07 pm
Tags: , ,

A few years ago I made these changeable calendars for several friends, family and co-workers (thanks to my friend, Therese for the idea!).  They are made from an acrylic frame and different scrapbook paper backgrounds cut to fit the size of the frame.  As you can see in the pictures below a ribbon holds all the backgrounds in the back of the frame.

The beauty of these framed calendar backgrounds is they can be used year after by changing the small calendar on the front of the frame.  Every year I have ordered the small calendars from an online company.  This year they changed the minimum quantity you need to buy from 5 to 25.  I did not need nearly that many, so my determination set in to make them myself. 

I started by cutting pieces of white cardstock (1-1/2″ x 1-3/4″).  Then I used my Close To My Heart stamp set to stamp each of the calendars in black ink and the month/year title in colored ink.  It was a big  job, but fun when you work with a friend (thanks, Kellie!).  I think it took me about an hour to stamp 12 sets of 2012 calendars.

Next, I needed to figure out how I was going to turn these 12 individual rectangle calendars into a tear-off notepad.  I did a little searching online.  They do make something called Notepad Adhesive, but I couldn’t find that anywhere in town.  I also saw that you could use Rubber Cement to turn a stack of paper into a notepad.  The friendly employee at Michael’s also shared that Rubber Cement works well.  I also bought a repositional glue pen made my Martha Stewart.  I tried both methods — glue pen and Rubber Cement — I felt the rubber cement worked the best. 

I put all the calendars together along with a piece of black cardstock in back.  I then clamped them together with tiny clips (Tim Holtz) that I actually just bought for another project. 

At the top of each calendar stack I swiped a glob of Rubber Cement.  I really tried to get a good glob on there around the top, middle and back.  I wanted it to hold together as each month was torn off.  I put two coats of Rubber Cement on each calendar stack.  I’m really hoping this will work.  To finish each notepad off, I put two mounting squares on the back of each notepad so it can be adhered to the frame.

I was proud to complete this project with supplies I had on hand so it turned out to be cheap!

 

 
%d bloggers like this: